Sunday, September 18, 2011

65

Just when I think I've got it all figured out, God humbles me.  For a gentleman's 65th birthday I was asked to make some cookies (to hang from a tree) and mini cupcakes.  I found the cutest cookies to inspire me and I decided to create the cupcakes to match.  I was given the colors orange and teal to match the birthday color theme.  I started by creating royal icing 65's, larger ones for the cookies and smaller ones for the cupcakes.  I made far more than I would need as I knew there would be some breakage.
 They did not dry!  I'm not sure what happened.  I've never had difficulty with royal icing.  So, with less time to allow them to dry I had to come up with a different idea.  Idea number two, the newly developed plan B was chocolate.  Through a crazy combination of orange, red, and brown we created the right color of orange and my husband was tasked to created the 65's for the cupcakes while I worked on the ones for the cupcakes.  We were crunched a bit for time (wasn't expecting to be making all of the numbers again).
 Cupcakes were frosted, and sprinkled and each received a chocolate 65.

I love baking/decorating sugar cookies!  I used a really thin royal icing to flood each cookie and placed a chocolate 65 on each while the icing was still wet.  After the icing dried and added the white.  I used a sheer white ribbon to thread through each of the holes so that they could be hung at the site of the party. 
While this project took longer than I expected, they turned out really well.  Super cute and really delicious (don't worry, there were extras that I was able to sample).

2 comments:

  1. Your frosting holds its shape really well. What kind is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are referring to the "65's". They were originally made out of royal icing...a batch that went array and wouldn't harden. So the final product was made with chocolate. The blue frosting on the cupcakes is a buttercream made with both butter and shortening. Hope I answered your question.

    ReplyDelete