Thursday, October 27, 2011

Owl Cupcakes

I have seen these owl cupcakes all over the web, and you can make them even cuter with a little extra piping - but the goal this month was to make something cute fast.  Here is how I did it.

Split the Oreos in half - this is an art and takes some practice.  I have seen online that some people stick them in a microwave for a few seconds, but I didn't find that helpful. 
Cut the 'non-frosted' side into thirds.  I found it best to cut right along the "Oreo" logo in the center.
Discard (or eat) any broken or extra cookie pieces.  I used candy melts for the center of the eye, but I saw people using M&M's and Junior Mints as well.  Whatever you have around will probably work.  I used a bit of melted white chocolate as glue.  Again, that is what I had handy.
I used more candy melts (orange) for the beak.  I simply cut them in half.  Again, you could use many things.  I even saw someone used some banana Runts. 
I used a very light chocolate frosting.  I used my standard 1M tip.  Another fun way to do this would be to lay down a layer of frosting as your glue, layer the parts, then come back with something like the grass tip to add texture around the eyes and nose.
Frost the cupcake.  I started in the center and worked my way around.
Place eyes.  Pupil placement is important - it determines the facial expression on your little owl.
Add the 1/3 Oreo as the tufts on top of the owls head.
Finally the nose.  And you have a really cure little owl cupcake. 

No comments:

Post a Comment