Thursday, November 24, 2011

Baby Rump Cake

My little sister wanted to throw a baby shower for a friend.  She asked if I would help make the cake.  She sent me a few pictures of baby shower cakes that she liked.  One of them was a cake that I had seen before and thought was really pretty cute.  We decided to tackle the baby rump cake.  Again, short on time (did this in two evenings) so all I got pictures of was the final product. 

Night 1:  We made the gluten free yellow cake and raspberry frosting.  We also shaped rice crispy treats for the rump, legs, and feet.  We covered them in chocolate to try and fill in some of the divots.  I hadn't tried that before - and didn't think it really made a difference - maybe I needed more chocolate on top?  Anyway, we called it done for the night.

Night 2:  We split tasks here.  My sister began smoothing out the chocolate on the rice crispy body parts with a knife while I cut the cake into three sections, filled it and covered it with the raspberry frosting.  I find, with fondant covered cakes, the more layers of frosting inside the cake the better.  Next, she began coloring fondant while I covered the cake with white.  FYI, we did put some dowels in the cake and cardboard between the rump and cake to help hold some of the weight.  I added the ribbon around the border and created the bow.  Then, we tucked the baby rump in by covering it with a blanket and added some frills to the diaper.  While I did that, my sister cut out the circles and placed them on the cake.  Last, we put the feet on and added the toes.  Great team work and a really cute little baby shower cake!

6 comments:

  1. Hey! Love the cake! Do you personally make them for baby showers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words! I do for those who live in the area. Feel free to shoot me an e-mail at molly.tweite@hotmail.com with details as to what you are looking for and the date you are interested in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're pinning button isn't working! I had to use the one in my toolbar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://pinterest.com/source/graciefacecakes.blogspot.com/

    thought you might want to see this...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey... Why haven't you posted in a while. Your fans are waiting...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mean, my FAN :). I just finished some cookies for a shower in Colorado...farthest my baking has traveled. I will post pics after this weekend.

      Delete