Tuesday, September 11, 2012

A taste of summer


Another adoption fundraising bake/garage sale.  Our good friends Aaron and Kristy have decided to begin the process of adoption to add to their already beautiful family of three.  Last minute, I decided to do some cookies...I actually started these at about 5:00 in the evening and finished them around 12:00 am.  I wouldn't recommend it :).  I saw a tutorial for these cookies a few months ago, and this seemed like the perfect opportunity to give them a try.  You don't really need a step by step, as the tutorial is done very thoroughly, but here are some pictures for you.


I tried a new royal icing.  I looked up one that included lemon juice.  I thought it might be nice if these citrus looking cookies had a taste to go along with it.  I was unhappy with the way the icing turned out.  It didn't spread like I prefer and it never really hardened completely.  It was very airy...I'm sure there is a place for this texture of royal icing, but it is not in decorating cookies.






I also noticed that the final look of the royal icing was more matte than I would prefer.  Especially for a cookie that should look like a juicy orange.
None the less, I packaged half of these little guys up.  I was able to take half to the bake/garage sale, and half to a class reunion.  I even had leftover for a birthday party the following day!

No comments:

Post a Comment