Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Legos

Many, many months ago...I agreed to do a lego themed cake and cupcakes for a friend's wedding.  This cake was a bit more of a challenge as their was a lot to do (a 3 tier cake and 72 cupcakes) and I had an additional child to take care of.  Turns out, a break from cakes may be in the best interest of my family and my sanity :).  I decided if I was going to pull this off, I needed a good plan of attack. 

The Plan

The weekend prior to the cakes due date: 
-Make the chocolate lego bricks
-Make the lego knobs
-Mix fondant colors for covering cakes
-Make the cakes and freeze them (I will talk more about this later)

Tuesday:
-Make frosting

Wednesday:
-Bake cupcakes
-Frost Cakes

Thursday:
-Cover cakes with fondant
-Ad detail work to cakes

Friday:
-Frost cupcakes
-Deliver

When my friend came to me, she brought a stack of lego bricks in the shape of a three tier wedding cake, she wanted the cake to look like that...only bigger.  Her colors were pink and brown, so the cake was to coordinate.  As always, I started by taking many pictures of the process, but as I got involved...I picked up the camera less and less.  Stay tuned to see how well I stuck to the plan and how it all turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment