Friday, September 14, 2012

Lego - Part 2

Tuesday I made many batches of frosting.  Four batches of almond flavored frosting, two batches of chocolate ganache, four batches of almond flavored pink frosting, and four batches of chocolate frosting.  Yikes!

Wednesday I baked 8 dozen cupcakes.  The bride and groom order 6 dozen, but one of the batches fell, and I was not happy with delivering them...so I made another batch.

I also cut (or attempted to hack at) the frozen cakes.  I measured and cut and used my square and level (that is right, I have a square level in my cake decorating stuff) to try and get the most perfect squares I could.  The bottom cake was a 12 x 12 yellow cake.  I layered it with the almond frosting.  I like 4 layers of cake with frosting between each layer.  I'm not a huge fan of the taste of fondant.  So when I cover a cake in fondant,  I usually add more frosting to the inside assuming that others don't eat the fondant either.  The middle cake was and 8 x 8 chocolate cake layered with chocolate ganache.  The top tier was a 4 x 4 yellow cake with almond frosting.  It is difficult to work with such a small cake, it just wants to move around on you, as there is so little weight.

Thursday I covered the cakes in fondant.  I was really nervous about this step.  I wanted to get a really crisp edges.  So I decided to buy an extra fondant smoother.  This really seemed to work.  By using both smoothers and meeting them together on the corners I was able to accomplish a much more square edge than I have before.  The difficulty, again, came with the small 4 x 4 cake.  The little thing didn't hold well to the work I had to do.  It turned out okay, but if there was a part of the cake I would do over...this would be it.

Then, the fun part - we put it all together!  We stacked the three tiers.  I added some lines to the fondant so it would appear there were separate blocks.  We also glued each knob on with royal icing.

Another late night...


 off to bed, have cupcakes to decorate in the morning.

Stay tuned for the final lego post...

  

1 comment: