Thursday, August 11, 2011

1 day before Pinwheel Cake

I removed all of the paper towel from the pinwheels, as they were all dry.  I used royal icing to "glue" the sticks to the pinwheels. 
I rolled out some fondant/gumpaste as thin as possible and folded it using paper towels as spacers, this will be tissue paper for inside the bucket.  I made it a little bit lighter yellow than the pinwheels as I wanted them to look lighter in texture.  I had planned on brushing them with white luster dust too, but ran out of time.
First, I stacked my two 8" round cakes and carved them so it would hold a shape of a bucket.  Notice the pile of leftovers, my daughter LOVES them and so do I :).

Then, I crumb coated it.
Covered it with fondant.  I did it in one long rectangle, but we had some problems with it sliding a bit.  Next time, I will cover it like normal and add a rim at the top.  I used the extruder once again for a rim at the top and a rim along the base as well as the handle (which I wanted to paint silver - but ran out of time).
Again, using the extruder, we (I keep saying we - my husband was helping as he wanted to cuddle with me...what a sweetheart!) used the extruder to make a white, red, and yellow tube.  We glued them together with a bit of edible glue and flattened them with a rolling pin.  This created our ribbon.
Clean up a bit, and let it sit for the night.  I'll finish it in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment