Friday, August 5, 2011

Vikings Football Cake

 Task - make a Vikings themed birthday cake for two adults.  As I have mentioned many times before, I use google images to get the creative juices flowing.  I was a little disappointing to see what was out there for football themed cakes.  So, I created my own.  My vision:  a football that sits with one point down lower than the other in grass.  I found a collectors white football (photo below) that I really liked.  Thought it would help this football cake stand out in comparison to others I had seen.


 I don't mind carving a cake, but I hate all of the "waste" - or the amount that I eat as a result.  As a result, I decided to purchase a football shaped pan.  Half of the football is french vanilla cake, the other 1/4 (1/4 was supposed to appear to be stuck in the ground) was molded out of rice crispy treats.  Between the rice crispy and cake was a piece of cardboard.  There was one dowel running through the rice crispy to hold the cake up on end.  

 I placed the fondant on in sections (the four panels).  I wanted a space between each panel to pipe some royal icing dots to look like the threading.  The Logos were all created using fondant, details added with black royal icing to the Vikings logo.  I used my new favorite tool the extruder to make the thin purple "threading" around the laces, as well as creating the laces themselves. I tried to make the Happy Birthday message look like a message from Adrian Peterson - who does not have a pretty autograph.  This too, was done in royal icing.


 I finished the cake off with some green grass, which sure helped the white football pop right off the stand.

No comments:

Post a Comment