Monday, August 8, 2011

1 Week before Pinwheel Cake

I will be taking a break from past cakes to talk about one that I did over the last week.  I also did an order to f 4 dozen cupcakes.  I will be posting the events as they occurred, rather than all in one post.  Some days may be more eventful than others :).

A friend of a friend had a wedding coming up.  They were planning on serving cupcakes to their guests, but wanted a small cake for the bride and groom to cut into.  I was informed that their theme was polka dots and pinwheels.  Colors were red and yellow.  So, after some creative thinking, and mulling ideas over in my head for a few days I (with the acceptance of the bride herself) decided on a cake that looked like a small pail holding some pinwheels and tissue paper.  I wanted the entire thing to be edible.  So, a week in advance (so that they would get good and dry) I used my extruder -I LOVE THIS TOOL - to create a few gumpaste sticks to put pinwheels on.  I was planning on putting 5 pinwheels in the cake, so I made 8 sticks (at varying heights) in case some broke.

No comments:

Post a Comment