Friday, July 15, 2011

1 Year Old Princess

I've gotten a little ahead of myself.  This cake, as well as the next were created between Wilton courses 2 and 3. 
  My niece was about to turn one.  She is very much a princess.  I ran across a 4 tier cake similar to this in a book at the library.  I wish I could tell you the name of the book, but this was over a year ago now.

The crown was created ahead of time (yes, I'm aware that it is a little uneven and crooked - drove me nuts...but I didn't have the time to start over) and later painted with some metallic gold dust and lemon extract.  Embellishments done in royal icing.

Top tier is gluten free.  First experience with making gluten free cake, it doesn't rise as much as a standard cake.  Yes, the bottom tier is not level, Ugh!

I tinted the fondant pink and covered the cake.  I then came back and painted it with pink luster dust and lemon extract.  This gave it a bit of a shiny look.  Final touches with royal icing.  I used yellow royal icing for the gold parts, which were then covered in more gold luster dust/lemon extract.  This was my first attempt at brush embroidery.  It didn't quiet turn out as I had seen in the picture, but I was fairly pleased with it at the time.  Coming up, is another cake with brush embroidery where I did much, much better.  So, looking back, I don't care much for the flowers on this cake.

Overall, the cake was a hit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment