Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Wilton Course #2

I was only going to take one class.  After all, I only had one gift card.  However, the last night of class I 'accidentally' signed up for course #2.  Fortunately, I have a very encouraging husband! 

We only made one cake for this course during the final week.  And I actually missed the last week of class, so I made mine a few weeks later for Easter.

We spent the entire class learning how to make and work with royal icing.  All of the flowers on this cake were made out of royal icing.  The dry nicely, and keep well in a plastic container for months (I hear - I've never tried).  I have a wedding cake coming up in September that I plan on making flowers for months in advance.   I'll have to brush up on my mum making skills (my least favorite flower to make).  Just as I said in my last post about butter cream frosting, royal icing consistency is SO important when it comes to making flowers.  Finally, the blue birds were made out of color flow, which is very similar to royal icing, only dries a bit shinier.

No comments:

Post a Comment