Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Are You My Mother?

 Another book themed cake.  This was for a baby shower.  Making something three dimensional from a two dimensional model was my biggest difficulty here.  The little bird in the nest was a bit of a challenge, and I still don't care to look at the little guy.  Also, the cover of this book comes in a dozen different shades, so depending on which copy you have, the cake may or may not match the book. 

My fondant covering is still a little sketchy.  I have found that I am quite innovative though.  For example.  The top tier fondant cracked so much that I put another layer around the outside.  It worked out just fine as all of the edges were covered by tree branches. 

My husband helped by cutting out the words, a rather tedious task.  Just like the fish on our Dr. Seuss cake, we used some parchment paper as a template. 





Mamma bird was my favorite part of this cake. 





The black details were painted on after the cake was pieced together using black gel food coloring and lemon extract.  After completion, this cake traveled a few hours to its destination.  Fortunately, I didn't have to drive it.  Once it left my home, it was no longer my concern.

2 comments: