Tuesday, July 26, 2011

My Baby turned 2!

I realized that this would most likely be the last year I get to choose the theme for Grace's Birthday Cake.  At 3, she'll be old enough to tell me what she wants.  In fact, she has already informed me that she would like a Thomas the Train cake as one of her friends recently had one.  We'll see if she changes her mind before November.  I wanted something girly, but not over the top.  She loves to play tea party, so I decided on a tea pot cake.  With two cups to go with, one for each candle. 

 A few days prior to the event, I made the handle and spout for my tea pot and the handles for my two tea cups.  They were made out of a fondant/gumpaste mix.  The spout was really heavy and I ended up hollowing it out so that it wouldn't pull the whole cake down.  In the chance that I ever make one again, I will try to remember to make it out of rice crispy treats covered in fondant. I reserved some pink fondant for the top and bottom.

I baked the white cake for the cups in some Pamerpered Chef 1 cup prep bowls.  The tea pot was baked in the Wilton Sports Ball Pan Set.  I filled and crumb coated in raspberry buttercream.  I covered each with white fondant.  I then placed my pre-made parts on the cakes.  I used a bit of white royal icing at the joints to help hold each piece tight against the cake and to make it appear continuous.
 On to my favorite part.  I've told you that I love brush embroidery.  The flowers were made with two tones of pink royal icing, dark pink piped outside a lighter on the inside.  This gave each petal a gradient look.  I wish I would have done the same for the leaves in retrospect. 
 I painted some flowers on the cups too.  Then I placed a little chocolate buttercream in each cup and some dripping out of the spout.  Though you can't see it, there is also a drip on the tray.  I also placed a few sugar cubes on the tray.  Speaking of the tray, my grandmother made this one.  Absolutely perfect for displaying this cake.

 Grace was able to eat one of the cups all by herself, and she LOVED it!

No comments:

Post a Comment