Monday, July 25, 2011

Cherry Pie Cupcakes

 

I had a church potluck to attend.  What to bring?  I had recently been given the book "What's New, Cupcake" and was set on trying one of the many great ideas in the book.  The difficulty was in selecting which would be the first.  I was thinking that I should go with the set of cupcakes that looked like ants (it was a picnic after all), but kept coming back to the miniature cherry pies (they also had blueberry pies, but I liked the look of the red).  How cute!  And pretty easy.

Bake cupcakes in silver foil cups so they look like miniature pans.  They recommend using store bought frosting, but I think the consistency is too runny, so I made my own.  Add a little yellow food coloring and cocoa powder to the white frosting to get the tan.  Frost each with a layer to give the M&M's something to stick to.  I purchased the M&M's at Michael's I believe, but I saw them later at Walmart for a lower price...ugh!  Anyway, you can buy them in packages of all the same color so you don't have to pick through for all the red ones.  Stick the M&M's, m side down to the frosting.  I think we layered 13 or 14 on each.  Then we used a basket weave tip (flat side up) and came back with a round tip (can't remember the size) to do the "crust".  They were a HUGE hit! 

No comments:

Post a Comment