Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Wilton Course #3

 In course #3 we worked on a little bit of stringwork and borders, cornelli lace and brush embroidery (which I LOVE! - cakes coming with some of that).  We also started working with fondant.  I had my first truly successful experience with covering a cake with fondant in this class.  Almost flawless cover.  I was so happy.  This alone, made the course worth while.  So what did I do different.  First of all, the fondant was white (less likely to crack) and I rolled it thicker (close to 1/4").  It worked out perfectly!
 We also learned to make fondant roses.  I prefer this much to butter cream roses.  However, they take much longer to make.  We spent some more time making royal icing flowers.  This time, using the lily nail.  And talked about tiered construction of a cake.  We finished with this beautiful wedding cake, which I sold to my mom for $20.00, our instructor told us it would sell for 250.00-400.00 due to all the hand made roses.  I just wanted the materials covered and I didn't want to eat all of that cake!  I was very happy with the final result.

No comments:

Post a Comment