Thursday, July 14, 2011

Wilton Course #4

This was my final Wilton course.  Our instructor informed us that Wilton had revamped all of their classes and that they were coming out with 4 new courses.  She told us that there would be some overlap, but she encouraged us to take the four Wilton courses again, as there would be new material to learn.  As supportive as my husband is, I needed to take a break from spending money on cake decorating classes and materials.  I have yet to take them.  I've seen the course books and don't feel like there is anything in them that I absolutely need at the time. 

We learned how to do some fondant embellishments:  draping, handkerchief style overlay, and ribbon garland and borders.  Our instructor taught us how to make gum glue adhesive (essentially breaking up gumpaste and dissolving it into water).  I still prefer the ease of a little Tylose powder in water. Some time was spent creating flowers such as daisies, carnations (my favorite!), and fantasy flowers.  We talked about using fondant cut-outs as is, with overlays, and with inlays.  Finally, we learned a few additional borders using fondant.  Our final project was to design (or use one of the designs in the back of the book) our own cake.  I came up with this.  I'm not sure what I was going for.  I know that this isn't what I envisioned.  I'm thankful for those beautiful carnations, for without them, I would have truly hated this cake.  As I worked on this, I kept asking myself, "was your intent a baby shower cake."  That seems to be where I headed with it.  The board was covered in an imprinted fondant, I did like the idea of spending time thinking about the overall presentation, not just the cake itself.  However, it was hard for me to use up all that fondant to cover a cake board.  I'm a bit frugal. 

 So, I survived them.  All four classes!  I learned some new tricks and practiced some old.  Looking back at these pictures makes me want to practice some of these techniques again.  I have a wedding cake coming up in September that will be covered in flowers.  I'll definitely be revisiting some of the things I learned in these classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment